Saturday, 12 November 2011

Laps around the round a bout

Im in Hungary and I cant find any punctuation marks except , and . on this keyboard. So there wont be any others. Also incase anyone is wondering, the z and y are in the opposite places, so it takes me a while to remember that.

We had the most amazing day and night in Hungary. Starting with a city tour with a local guide who was really young but knew so much about the history of the places we were seeing. I didnt realise the extent of what happened during the war and then in 1956. Seeing the bronze shoes on the bank of the river where the Jews were pushed in and the bullet holes in the buildings that were kept there to respect the memory of those who lost their lives fighting for freedom in 1956 was a really moving experience. Especially at the river cause Id just walked up and looked at all the shoes. There was a pair that would have belonged to a little girl. Maybe 4 years old. As I was about to take a photo, a little girl about that age walks past with her Dad. It was hard to hold back tears.

So I have this moving experience at the start of my day. Then we walk to the markets, have lunch and do some shopping. Then I have another thing to add to my "Eiffel tower at night" list. At the end of this tour, Ill write the whole list out, but today I swam in a 38 degree naturally heated pool in the open air. A group of us went to the Gellert Baths. I am ashamed to admit this, but before this tour, I really didnt know much about Hungary. Now I know at least two things... there is a lot of sad history and they have thermal springs.

I thought I was onlz going to cold place while on this trip so didnt bring my swimmers. I did bring my running skins. These are full length arms and full length legs. I thought they dry quickly, theyd be great to "swim" in. What we didnt know until we went into the baths is that there is a special area just for ladies and the guys have one just for them. But in these places, its ok to swim with no clothes on. The group I was with were all wearing clothes and were ok with what I had on. BUT I got more strange looks cause I was wearing clothes, well my skins, than the ladies who were swimming and walking around with nothing on. It was a very interesting experience. The pools were extraordinary. It was 8 degrees when we arrived.

Then tonight was spectacular!!!! A river cruise along the Danube. Amazing food and scenery!!! One of the things I am blown away about is how different these places look in the day and at night. It was beautiful today, but then tonight it was literally glowing. It was the same when I was in Rome and of course Paris!!

We came back to the hotel and a few of us sat around and chatted, not wanting the night to end. There were lots of laughs and Im sure they will continue. We drive 580 km tomorrow so its comfy clothes on the bus. I am getting VERY excited about Salzburg and the Sound of Music tour. There may have to be a bit of singing tomorrow when Im not sleeping.

I was about to sign off when I realised the title of this entry... On the way home from dinner we went across the Chain Bridge which is one of Budapests famous landmarks. Tunde then asks us the name of the bridge we crossed and we tell her. She then asks the name of the castle at the top of the hill. The answer is Buda Castle. I think. I wasnt the only person who wasnt sure so we go around the roundabout again and are asked whats the name of the bridge then the castle. We get it wrong again, but have worked out what she is doing, so on the third time round when she asks what is on top of the mountain we say the Louvre. Her reaction was classic, but our plan didnt work out for us cause the next time round we went off the roundabout and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment